Having suffered from Gilbert’s Syndrome (which is a liver condition where suffers have too much bilirubin in the blood) for many years, I’ve been drinking warm lemon water daily to help cleanse and support my liver function. I feel it kick starts my digestive system and sets me up for the day. But did you know that lemon water does much more than that?
Here are 17 good Reasons You Should Drink Lemon Water in the morning for health and vitality.
- Boosts your immune system – Lemons are high in vitamin C and potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure
- Balances pH – Lemon is one of the most alkaline foods around. Yes, lemon has citric acid but it does not create acidity in the body once metabolized, so, you’ll reduce your body’s overall acidity
- Alkalize the Body – Believe it or not but lemons are alkalizing for the body. Many people think since lemons are sour they are actually acidic however, instead our bodies they have alkalizing properties that keep your pH balance. To much acid in the body has been shown to be the root cause of conditions such as arthritis, ulcers, immune deficiencies
- Helps with weight loss – To fight hunger cravings maintain a more alkaline diet, this is because lemons are high in pectin fibre
- Aids in digestion – It encourages the liver to produce bile which is an acid that required for digestion, which reduces heartburn and constipation
- Is a diuretic – Lemons increase the rate of urination in the body, which helps purify it from toxins, therefore, helps keep your urinary tract healthy
- Clears skin – Lemon water purges toxins from the blood which helps keep skin clear as well, this is thanks to the vitamin C component, which helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes
- Freshens breath – The citric acid can kill the bacteria, so it can help relieve tooth pain and gingivitis
- Relieves respiratory problems – Warm lemon water helps get rid of chest infections and halt those pesky coughs
- Keeps you zen – Vitamin C is one of the first things depleted when your mind and body are subjected to stress, and in the lives we lead, who is not?
- Antibacterial – When you ingest lemon juice the acid from the lemon juice acts as an antibacterial force inside your stomach. (You can also use lemons to clean your cutting boards and counters)
- Helps kick the coffee habit – Normally after a glass of hot lemon water, you don’t crave coffee in the morning. Try it yourself! The recipe is really simple – a cup of warm water (not hot) and the juice from half of a lemon.
- Hydration of Lymph System – Warm water and lemon juice supports the immune system by hydrating and replacing fluids lost by your body. When your body is deprived of water, you can definitely feel the side effects, which include: feeling tired, sluggish, decreased immune function, constipation, lack of energy, low/high blood pressure, lack of sleep, lack of mental clarity and feeling stressed just to name a few When you have these symptoms it might mean that your adrenals are “fatigued.” Your adrenals function in secreting necessary hormones, regulating stress response, regulating blood pressure and much more. So keep your adrenals happy by staying hydrated.
- Stomach Ulcers – Apart from being a great source of vitamin C boosting your immune system, vitamin C helps destroy H. pylori, which is a type of bacteria in your stomach. H. pylori is being researched for it’s ability to cause stomach ulcers (a great stomach and gut tonic is in my Recipe section www.delglynclinic.co.uk/nutrition/recipes
- Vitamin P – Vitamin P is a flavonoids. Flavonoids are powerful antioxidants that help neutralize free radials associated with cellular damage and aging. Flavonoids also help reduce inflammation.
- Anti-cancer Properties – Lemons contain 22 anti-cancer properties like limonine which slows the growth of tumors
- Cleans You Out and Aids in Digestion – Lemon juice like most fresh vegetable juices contain pectin fiber. Pectin fiber is a type of water soluble fiber that helps reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. Another great thing about pectin is that it keeps you feeling full and reduces cravings
Stomach & Gut Tonic
Here is a great stomach and gut tonic. This will help you go to the restroom and it will help your stomach fight off any unwanted bacteria like H. pylori. The tonic includes: 1 cup of warm water, 1/2 lemon (juiced), 1 teaspoon of ground flaxseed.
Hope you found this information of help and interest.